Inokashira Park, about 20 kilometers west of central Tokyo, was opened in 1917. Inokashira Pond as shown in the first photo, stretching in the center of the park, is fed by the springs at the western end of the pond, and the water flows out as the Kanda River from the west side of the pond. The Kanda River runs to the east for 20 kilometers, passing through central Tokyo, and finally joins the Sumida River near Ryogoku. This park is surrounded by groves which are dotted with a zoo, Ghibli Museum, sports facilities and so on. The entire park changes its appearance with the seasons, such as cherry blossoms in spring, fresh greenery in early summer, autumn leaves and various migratory birds that arrive in winter. The park is one of the most popular cherry blossom viewing spots in Tokyo. Remains of ancient dwellings were excavated near this pond, indicating this water source had been used since ancient times. The second photo shows one of the springs of the pond, which used to be one of the important water sources of Edo, present Tokyo. The third one is Inokashira Benzaiten Temple, which is believed to be originally erected in the 10th century, and was reconstructed by Tokugawa Iemitsu, the 3rd shogun, in the 17th century.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,