The original donjon of this castle was built around 1585, by Toyotomi Hideyoshi who unified Japan in the second half of the 16th century. He built the foundation of Osaka as the greatest commercial city, with this castle construction. However this donjon was destroyed in 1615 by the fire caused by the attack from Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was the first Tokugawa shogun based in Edo, present Tokyo. After that this was reconstructed in 1629 by his son, the second shogun, rejecting the original design favored by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. This one was unfortunately struck by lightning and was burnt down again in 1665, since then Osaka Castle had long been donjon-less for about 300 years. It was not till 1931, that the present donjon, ferroconcrete building, was constructed thanks to the donations from the Sumitomo Family, the founder of the Sumitomo combine, and Osaka locals. The present donjon in the picture, designed following the original one, is used as a museum focusing on Toyotomi Hideyoshi, as well as an open-air restaurant on top.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,