The main enclosure of Osaka Castle is surrounded by the inner moat, over which Sakura-mon official gate spans. This gate in the first picture was built in 1626 by Tokugawa Hidetada, the second shogun, and was largely repaired in 1868. The big stone in the second picture, which seems to be a stone screen right ahead of this gate as shown in the first picture, is named Tako-ishi. It's 20 meters wide, 5.5 meters high and 130 tons in weight. This is the largest stone of this huge castle. Speaking of which, two stones both sides of the gate are the tenth and eleventh largest ones of this castle. Only Daimyo feudal lords were permitted to use this official gate in those years.
This gate is on the list of important cultural assets.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,