The picture shows the urbanized riverbank of the Nihonbashi from Nihonbashi bridge. A fish market was established here at the beginning of the 17th century. Local fishermen were selling their catches to high-ranking samurais at that time, but they gradually wanted to sell the unsold catches to the masses through a market. This market was established to meet this demand. Many fish stalls were lined on this riverbank, and the small fishing boats were coming and going till the beginning of the 20th century. In 1923, when the Great Kanto Earthquake hit Tokyo, this busy market was totally destroyed. So, this market was relocated to the mouth of the Sumida, about 2 kilometers south of here, and was renamed Tsukiji Fish Market.
*Tsukiji Fish Market was relocated again to Toyosu in 2018.
A "Katsuobushi"dried bonito shop dating back to 1699 and "Nori" shop dating back to 1849 still stand here, as a witness of the old fish market.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,