This stately building was originally built in 1934 at the request of the association of the reservists of Japan to commemorate the enthronement of Emperor Hirohito, the grandfather of the present emperor. The original name of the building was the Soldiers' Hall. Until the end of the Second World War, the association of the reservists of Japan had its headquarters here to use this for daily military training and accommodations, but after the war this was temporarily confiscated by GHQ and used as accommodations for the Occupation Forces under the name of Army Hall. After the Occupation Forces withdrew from Japan, it was rented free of charge to the Japan Bereaved Families Association, and the name was changed to Kudan Kaikan. Since then, it had been a prestigious multipurpose hall for the locals for more than 50 years, but the ceiling of the old building collapsed in the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011, causing multiple casualties. The damage caused the building to close down, but since it is conveniently located next to Kitanomaru Park, a part of the former Edo Castle, reconstruction was considered, and a 17-story modern office building was constructed while retaining the old exterior of the former Kudan Kaikan. Renamed Kudan Kaikan Terrace, the new building is a multipurpose hall and office complex. Incidentally, during the February 26 Incident, a military coup attempt in 1936, the martial law headquarters were hastily set up here.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,