Tetsugaku-no-Michi, literally means the promenade of philosophy, originally was a road to maintain Biwako-Sosui canal built in 1890. This promenade had no specific name, but was called by the locals in many ways like Sansaku-no-Michi (a road for rambling) and Sosui-no-Komichi (a road along the canal). This was not well known by sightseers. Thereafter, Nishida Kitaro, who was a professor of the philosophy department at nearby Kyoto University and was widely known for the study of Zen, usually took a walk along this promenade while being absorbed in thought. Hence, this promenade was officially named Tetsugaku-no-Michi in 1972, and became to be known by the sightseers. This promenade is also known as a cool cherry blossom viewing spot in Kyoto. About 300 cherry trees are standing along the narrow canal. They are donated by Hashimoto Kansetsu, a famous Japanese-style painter who lived in this vicinity.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,