Kano Jigoro, who is called the father of Judo, strived to create Judo in 1881 by integrating several martial arts at that time. He disseminated this newly integrated martial art through Kodokan training hall in the grounds of Eishoji Temple in Ueno. The first Kodokan was elected there by him in 1882. He also invented a rating system according to the skill level of each expert, from shodan first grade to hachidan 8th grade. Kodokan had been repeatedly moved several times since then, and was finally settled down to the present place, Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku Tokyo, in 1958. The first picture shows the headquarters building with training hall and accommodations. The second picture, the statue of Kano Jigoro standing at the main entrance of this building.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,