The site, where these landmarks are found, used to be the important base of the Japanese army before the Second World War. After the war, this site was taken over by the occupation forces to build their houses. In 1974, the Supreme Court was constructed here by the leading architect, Okada Shinichi, who is known for the Metropolitan Police Department Building and Tokyo University Hospital Building.
The statue of three women standing right in front of this stately building is called 'Heiwa-no- Gunzo' meaning a group for peace. This was made in 1951, and is Japan's first nude image of women found in a public space. A metal statue of a high-ranking army officer stood at the very same place before the war, but was offered to the government to make necessary weapons during the war.
The great change of time from war to peace.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,