The foundation of Kanagu-ya ryokan dates back to 1758. The name of Kanagu-ya sounds strange as the name of ryokan for the Japanese, because Kanagu-ya literally means a manufacturer of metal fittings. In fact, the founder of this ryokan was a blacksmith before 1758. Around 1930, thereafter, the five-storied wooden building as shown in the picture, big banquet room and public bathroom were added. The first building and the second room are on the list of the registered tangible cultural properties. Townscape preservation work of Shibu-onsen hot spring resort was carried out in preparation for Nagano Winter Olympic Games in 1998, thus this hot spring resort has totally retrieved its traditional atmosphere.
Licensed tour guide, travel consultant,